Data Management and Communication (DMAC)Implementation Plan
- IOOS DIF Draft Architecture & Recommendations This set of slides includes a partial set of architecture diagrams and provides an overview of the data access services used by the DIF.
- XML Encoding: IOOS DIF XML Schema beta v0.6.1 - This Geography Markup Language (GML) application schema defines the XML encoding used by the NDBC and CO-OPS SOS to serve in situ data. This encoding is designed to be complete and machine-readable, and may be transformed to simplified representations using code such as the Extensible Styleheet Language Transformation (XSLT) example below.
- Text encoding: IOOS conventions for comma-separated value (CSV) (PDF, 84kB) and tab-separated value (TSV) (PDF, 95kB) encoding. CSV and TSV are offered by the NDBC SOS and eventually by other IOOS SOS. The CSV is directly readable by common spreadsheet programs. The TSV includes a few specialized column headers to make it more easily readable by the Ocean Data View (ODV) software package.
- DIF Design Document:(pdf, 1,039kb) This document defines the high-level DIF architecture, standards, conventions, and services to be employed, intersections with NOAA Enterprise Architecture, and risks and mitigation strategies.
- IOOS Biological Data Terminology and Schema
The following software is provided on an as-is basis with no support or warranty. Read the full disclaimer before downloading.
- NDBC SOS software - version 1: This software was developed by the National Data Buoy Center (NDBC) to provide a SOS interface to their MySQL database back-end. Offers data in GML, CSV, TSV and KML encodings.
- GCOOS SOS software beta version 0.6.1(zip, 88kb)This PHP script was modified from the NDBC version to support SQLite database engine. This beta software is still under active development and test.
- THREDDS Data Server (TDS) is open-source software from Unidata that provides OpenDAP and WCS functionality. It is used by the NDBC and CoastWatch.
- IOOS SOS to CSV v0.6.1This XSLT file converts the IOOS SOS v0.6.1 observation values from GML to comma-separated value (CSV) format suitable for use by Excel and other simple applications.
- netCDF to BUFR converter beta v0.1 This sample application was developed at AOML. It converts data from a netCDF format accepted by DIF to the Binary Universal Form for the Representation of meteorological data (BUFR) format maintained by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The archive contains C source code, descriptor file, and brief help on compilation and execution.
- Tcl/Tk Example These Tcl/Tk routines are used by the Coastal Inundation customer for retrieving water level observations from the CO-OPS SOS.
Core DIF Standards
These are some of the basic standards and specifications adopted by the NOAA IOOS Data Integration Framework.
- OGC Sensor Observation Service (SOS) specification NOAA IOOS uses this service type to provide access to in-situ oceanographic data in an XML encoding defined by the GML application schema referenced above.
- OGC Web Coverage Service (WCS) specification NOAA IOOS uses this service type to provide access to gridded remotely sensed data in binary formats such as NetCDF and GeoTIFF.
- OPeNDAP information This service type is used by NOAA IOOS to provide access to gridded remotely sensed data in binary formats such as NetCDF and GeoTIFF.
- OGC Web Map Service (WMS) specification This service type will be used to provide georeferenced images of data.
Data Management and Communications Documents
- Guidance for Implementation of the IOOS Data Management and Communications Subsystem (pdf, 39kb)
- DMAC Plan for Research and Operational Integrated Ocean Observing Systems,
2005 (pdf, 4.7Mb)
- IOOS High Level Functional Requirements:(pdf, 168kb)As a part of the IOOS implementation planning effort, the NOAA IOOS Program collected functional requirements from a variety of existing sources and compiled them into this single document. This IOOS High-Level Functional Requirements Document will be used to assist developing more detailed documents as the program focuses its efforts in developing and deploying a National DMAC to serve all IOOS stakeholders.
- IOOS DMAC Concept of Operations:(pdf, 168kb)This document describes the initial high-level concept of operations (ConOps) for the DMAC subsystem; it is not intended to be an implementation or transition plan. The focus of the document is to define the functions and services that IOOS stakeholders desire the DMAC to perform. It does not address the technology or architecture of how it will perform those functions and services. NOAA is currently running a pilot project, the Data Integration Framework (DIF), to address some of the DMAC functionality and some of the technology issues.
IOOS Regional Data Management Workshop, Sept 11-13, 2012
IOOS Regional Associations DMAC Coordination Briefings
- AOOS (pdf), Rob Bochenek
- CariCOOS (pdf), Jorge Capella
- CeNCOOS (pdf), Steven Le and Jennifer Patterson
- GCOOS (pdf), Matt Howard
- GLOS (pdf), Tad Slawecki
- MARACOOS (pdf), Kyle Wilcox
- NANOOS (pdf), Emilio Mayorga
- NERACOOS (pdf), Eric Bridger
- PacIOOS (pdf), Jim Potemra
- SCCOOS (pdf), Lisa Hazard and Darren Wright
- SECOORA (pdf), Vembu Subramanian and Jeremy Cothran
IOOS DMAC Workshop Session Presentations
- Collaborative SW Development (PDF), Kyle Wilcox, MARACOOS
- Data Access Services Brief (PDF), Derrick Snowden, IOOS Program Office
- DMAC Workshop 2012 Cloud Hosting (PDF), Steven Le, CeNCOOS
- Improving Aquatic Biological and Ecological Observing Data Integration and Dissemination (PDF), Hassan Moustahfid, IOOS Program Office
- IOOC DMAC ST Brief (PDF), Charly Alexander, IOOS Program Office
- IOOS Catalog Brief, Dave Neufeld (PDF), NGDC
- IOOS Modeling Testbed Brief (PDF), Kyle Wilcox, MARACOOS
- IOOS Summit Brief (PDF), Carl Gouldman, IOOS Program Office
- IOOS Vocabulary Management (PDF), Sare Haines, SECOORA, Emilio Mayorga, NANOOS, Rob Ragsdale and Hassan Moustahfid, IOOS Program Office
- NODC Session Brief (PDF), Steve Rutz, NODC
- Ocean Workspace Demonstration (PDF), Rob Bochenek, AOOS
- QARTOD Brief (PDF), Charly Alexander, IOOS Program office
- Status of IOOS 52N SOS (PDF), Shane StClair, AOOS
- System Architecture Design and Content Standards for AAT Data (PDF), Hassan Moustahfid, IOOS Program Office
Interagency Ocean Observation Committee (IOOC)
Data Management and Communications (DMAC) Steering Team Meeting, May 11-12, 2011
On May 11-12, the U.S. Data Management and Communications Steering Team of the Integrated Ocean Observing Committee met to discuss ocean observation data management standards for the nation. The team is comprised of federal members across seven core agencies and regional participants from non-federal organizations and industry. The U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®), which resides within NOAA, will chair these important deliberations.
Meeting Agenda, the Federal Register Announcement and notes are availabe at:
IOOS Regional Data Management Workshop, April 27 - 28, 2011
Workshop Theme: Advancing IOOS RA DMAC Interoperability
Workshop Goal: Resolve challenges and issues to advancing interoperability among the eleven IOOS Regional Associations.
IOOS Regional Data Management Workshop, March 23-24, 2010
Workshop Report (pdf, 11,380kb)
IOOS Regional Data Integration Framwork Implementation Workshop
IOOS Regional Data Integration Framwork Implementation Workshop:(pdf, 13mb)